Enjoy learning experiences with exotic plants, bees, alpines, cacti, orchids, carnivorous and flowering plants. All tropical plants, alpines and cacti are labelled. Learn the botanical names and how to care for these plants. Books are available for more in-depth knowledge...just ask.
Bee Observation Hive
Our bee observation hive shows an entire population of bees in its true environment. It shows the European Honey Bee (Apis melifera), carrying out all of its daily operations: food and water gathering, cleaning, thermoregulation, communication, and reproduction. Our observation hive allows you to see day-to- day activities within the hive without disrupting or irritating the bees. In our observation hive you can:
- Study the honey bee colony.
- See different honey bee castes and their duties within the hive.
- Follow the development of honey bee larvae.
- Watch honey production and storage.
- Observe the bee dance.
- Spot the Queen bee. (white dot on her back)
Carnivorous Plant Tank
Carnivorous plants are plants that obtain some or all of their nutrients by capturing and digesting small animals, such as insects. Carnivorous plants attract insects by:
- Lures and smells.
- Trapping - Sticky secretions that hold the insects using a trap door.
- Digesting – the plant absorbs the insects.
© 2014 - 2018 The Belleisle Conservatory Limited